Bellevue, Seattle Micro-Needling Collagen Induction Therapy: Heal Yourself to Smoother Skin
Micro-needling is another tool in the collagen induction armamentarium. Since the loss of collagen contributes to the fine (and not so fine) wrinkles that come with age, the acne that is the bane of puberty, and the stretch marks of pregnancy, micro-needling induced collagen formation can help rejuvenate these signs of the passage of years. The technique involves repeated puncture of the skin with tiny, sterile needles. At Bel-Red Center for Aesthetic Surgery we use an electric pen-shaped device, Rejuvapen, with precisely spaced micro-needles to make tiny perforations into top skin layers to promote collagen and elastin regeneration.
How It Works
As we age, collagen fibers degrade, leaving the skin less firm, less smooth, less elastic. The tiny pin pricks produced by micro needles perforate the skin up to a depth of 2.5mm, stimulating regeneration of the collagen and elastin fibers essential for skin tightness. The newly induced plump and thickened skin reduces fine lines, depressions and wrinkles. Since each perforation is surrounded by untreated tissue, skin regeneration after micro-needling occurs quickly with rapid healing of the skin surface.
Before treatment the skin is cleaned. A topical numbing cream is then be applied for comfort. Each needling treatment is performed with a sterile, one-time use micro-needling cassette, to ensure sterility and minimize any risk of infection or contamination. To increase rejuvenating effectiveness, at Bel-Red Center for Aesthetic Surgery, growth factors are applied to the area of micro-punctures. These tiny perforations produced by micro-needling enhance the absorption of applied growth factors. Spun down from a small blood draw, the Seattle Micro-Needling patient’s own platelets are the source of the natural regenerating factors. These platelets are then applied in a platelet rich plasma (PRP) matrix gel to the treatment area to produce the patient’s own potent natural factors thus increasing collagen renewal and skin rejuvenation.
After a micro-needling treatment, most people will experience reddening of the skin and mild swelling. There may be pin-point bleeding in the areas of needle penetrations. These effects, much like a mild sunburn, usually resolve in 24 to 48 hours. Smoother skin can be evident within a couple of weeks but full effects may not be seen for several months. The number of treatments necessary depends on the amount of skin damage, the individual’s reaction to treatment and the type of correction desired. Treatments should be performed a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks apart to allow for regeneration between sessions.
As opposed to other skin resurface revitalizing modalities such as laser resurfacing, micro-needling can be safely performed on all skin types and colors without the risk of hyper-pigmentation. It can be performed on all areas of the body, even sensitive areas such as around the eyes, mouth, back of the hands and neck.
Persons who should not be treated include anyone who has: open skin wounds or skin infections or herpes simplex, had radiation treatment to the skin within the past year, or used Accutane within the past three months.
Every treatment at the Bel-Red Center for Aesthetic Surgery is individualized to the meet the needs of all our clients-from Bellevue, Seattle and surrounding areas. We tailor the number of treatment sessions and use of natural growth factors to your condition and the desired end point. Contact us for a complementary consultation for a more youthful you.
- What is the downtime for Micro-Needling?
- Other than the time it takes for the redness and swelling to subside, there is no downtime associated with micro-needling. Normal work and social activity can be resumed after treatment.
- How will I look after the treatment?
- You may experience some reddening of the skin and mild swelling. These effects will usually resolve themselves in 24 to 48 hours.
- What is the cost for Micro-Needling?
- The cost for micro-needling will be discussed at the time of the pre-treatment visit when the skin condition can be fully evaluated and options discussed.
- What are the risks associated with Micro-Needling?
- One risk of micro-needling is infection; however, this is rare.
- What is the recovery time with Micro-Needling?
- The needle prick induced inflammation subsides quickly after treatment from redness immediately post-treatment to pinkish for 12 to 48 hours. The associated mild swelling calms over the next 24s hours. The inflammation and swelling can be soothed with topical creams applied after the procedure. Sun screen should be applied to protect the healing skin.
- What can I expect post-procedure from Micro-Needling?
- Micro-Needling requires multiple sessions to induce collagen production for smoother, more elastic skin. The number of sessions depends on the skin condition being treated and can range from three to eight treatments. Smoother skin can be seen within two weeks; however, the full effects may not be seen for several months as the skin remodels with the newly induced collagen fibers for a smoother look.
- What kind of anesthesia is used for Micro-Needling?
- A numbing cream is applied on the treatment area to keep you pain free and comfortable.
- What is the Micro-Needling procedure?
- The procedure entails repeated punctures of the skin with tiny, sterile needles using an electric pen-shaped device. These pin pricks stimulate the regeneration of collagen and elastin fibers for increased skin tightness and texture. Growth factors created from your own blood can be applied to the area as well. The needle micro-perforations allow better penetration and absorption of various growth products which can be applied to the skin.
- Who is a candidate for Micro-Needling?
- Unlike other skin resurfacing techniques, such as laser resurfacing, micro-needling can be performed on all skin types and colors without the risk of hyper-pigmentation.
- What is Micro-Needling Collagen Induction Therapy?
- Micro-Needling Collagen Induction Therapy can be used to treat wrinkles, acne scars, stretch marks and skin texture problems. It works by penetrating the skin with tiny needles which then prompts the skin to regenerate with new collagen and elastin production. The microscopic perforations additionally induce new capillaries for an improved blood supply.