BREAST AUGMENTATION (BREAST IMPLANTS)
Breast augmentation (breast implants, breast enlargement, augmentation mammoplasty) is a surgical procedure which can provide satisfying, effective results:
- to improve body image for woman who feels her breasts are too small
- to achieve balance because of a difference in breast size or shape
- to restore shape after pregnancy or weight loss
- to provide lift for breast that are sagging (see breast lift, mastopexy)
At the Bel-Red Center our patients are encouraged to become active participants in the decision process regarding any surgery. Dr. Zemplenyi will discuss your options in detail, including:
The doctors at the Bel-Red Center for Aesthetic Surgery are familiar and well-trained in all routes of implant placement and will provide recommendations while always respecting your desires. Dr. Zemplenyi is one of only a few surgeons in the Puget Sound region to offer T.U.B.A. (Trans-Umbilical-Breast-Augmentation) surgery for selected patients. In this method the implant is inserted through the belly button, leaving no scars on the breast and only a small scar hidden inside the belly button. Dr. Zemplenyi will help you decide if you are a candidate for the small incision TUBA procedure.
As part of your pre-operative evaluation we will-
- Choice of the incision: under the breast (infra-mammary), in the underarm (trans-axillary), through the nipple (peri-areolar) or through the navel (T.U.B.A. - Trans-Umbilical-Breast-Augmentation)
- Position of the implant: under the breast (submammary or subglandular) or under the Pectoralis muscle (subpectoral or submuscular)
- Selection of the implant type: saline versus silicone gel, covered either with smooth versus textured implant surface
- Implant size and shape: implant volume, shape and profile (teardrop or tapered shape) to best meet expectations
- Indications for a breast lift (mastopexy) with or without implant
For Natural Breast Augmentation With Fat Grafting Click Here
- evaluate your general health status
- obtain a baseline mammogram, sometimes with an ultrasound examination
- take your photographs for the medical records
- take measurements of the breast size and shape
Surgery & Anesthesia Breast augmentation
As with all surgeries, patient comfort and safety are paramount. Since all levels of anesthesia are available in our State-licensed, Medicare-certified surgical facility, Bel Red Center for Aesthetic Surgery is able to tailor the technique and anesthesia to your needs. Breast augmentation is most frequently performed under general anesthesia though it may be done in the twilight sleep (sedation anesthesia) in some instances. Depending on the procedure type, the implant may be placed either directly behind the breast tissue (sub-mammary or sub-glandular placement) or under the pectoral muscle (sub-pectoral).
After Your Breast Surgery
For a few days following breast augmentation, you are likely to feel soreness and tenderness in the chest area. A mildly compressive dressing placed over the breasts is removed several days after surgery. Light, non-strenuous activity can then be resumed in a few days with regular daily responsibilities performed in one to two weeks. Restrictions on heavy lifting remain for about six weeks after the breast surgery. This timing varies for each individual and the doctors at Bel-Red Center for Aesthetic Surgery will discuss with you your expected recovery time and any limitations. The final cosmetic result following breast augmentation is not achieved for several months until the pocket around the implants matures and residual swelling resolves.